SAVORY and SWEET
Made Bacon Candy.
As I read earlier this year, bacon candy is supposedly “out of style”.
Just like clothes, foods go in and out of style.
That’s fine and well, but, what if I don’t want to let go?
Well, since I’m all about enjoying life, bacon candy will stick around.
Made my first batch of bacon candy. I enjoyed this thoroughly.
I tell you, it will always have a place in my kitchen. These make great appetizers.
I also like that it is baked in the oven. No stove top necessary. That fact alone makes this recipe a keeper.
There is no stove top mess. The smell of bacon lingering for hours or days on end in the kitchen is non-existent.
When selecting the bacon, keep in mind, fat renders, so use a thick cut bacon.
Make a brown sugar mixture.
You can get really creative here and use spices that you like.
Cover the bacon completely with the sugar mixture.
Once baked, cool the strips on a cooling rack.
CARMEN’S BACON CANDY
Yield: 20 pieces
½ cup brown sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
20 slices bacon, thick cut
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Cover a rimmed sheet pan with aluminum foil.
3. Set an oven proof baking rack on the sheet pan.
4. COMBINE sugar and spices in a bowl.
5. One by one, place bacon strips in sugar mixture.
6. Pat sugar mixture into the bacon.
7. Shake off excess sugar mixture.
8. Place sugar covered bacon strips on baking rack.
9. BAKE 20-25 minutes or until crisp.
10. Transfer to a cooling rack.
11. Cool. Serve.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Music Video: I Know That My Redeemer Lives
Music by Michael R. Hicks.
Vocals by Linda Rowberry.
From the album, I Know He Lives.
Michael, ‘Thank You’ for sharing your video.
Photo credit: Todd Anderson
‘Thank You’ Todd, for sharing your photo.
Photo credit: Scott Dungan
Thank You Scott for sharing your photo.
The Bacon Candy recipe can also be found on my dessert blog, Baking is my Zen.
…cooking is art revealed
Photography by Carmen Ortiz ~All Rights Reserved.
Not to be used without permission.